Research institutes and stations are responsible for performing general duties below in accordance with the Ministry's strategic plan aims and the master plan priorities,
• Conducting researches within the integrated programs and projects and providing these projects with all kinds of technical and management support,
• Conducting researches into determination of the nutritional value and usage areas of the nutrient within the study areas,
• Conducting researches into organic farming and good farming practices,
• Cooperating with provincial directorates, public institutes, private sector and civil society organizations and establishing demonstrations for farmers and contributing the publication with the aim of putting the outputs of the researches into practice,
• Arranging educational and scientific programs such as regional, national and international seminars conferences, congresses, workshops,
• Publishing and arranging the outputs of the researches conducted by the institute in a report form,
• Cooperating with international and public institutions private sector and civil society organizations in the research and development activities and preparing/conducting research projects,
• Increasing the physical, financial capacity and the number of projects conducted and make information technologies available,
• Conducting social economic researches on the subjects within the area of duty,
• Conducting researches on the subjects within the area of duty, the cost and production of basic agricultural crops,
• Finding solutions to problems of farmers and provincial directorates,
• Trying to enhance the effectiveness of the activities of the circulating capital of the institute,
• Doing other tasks given by the General Directorate of Agricultural Researches and Politics.
Regional areas of duty; Samsun, Amasya, Çorum, Tokat, Zonguldak, Bartın, Karabük, Kastamonu, Sinop Ordu, Giresun, Trabzon, Rize and Gümüşhane.
Subjects of duty: crops, industry plants, edible legumes, medical aromatic plants, pasture and forage plants, biological diversity and genetically resources, fruit growing, vegetable growing, ornament plants, plant health and soil - water resources.
• Developing new kinds and lines and increasing productivity and quality with improvement and growing techniques in line with market demands, increasing resistance to hazardous and negative environmental conditions and doing basic and practical researches by using modern techniques and technologies,
• Increasing the effectiveness in agricultural pest control and plant feeding with agricultural mechanization and information technologies, sensitive agriculture techniques or early warning systems, doing researches to reduce yield loss during or after harvest,
• Registering the kinds and lines developed as a consequence of improvement works, providing continuity of improvement materials and producing elite and original seeds of the kinds improved,
• Doing basic studies to provide the farmers with the plants improved,
• Doing studies to increase the diversity of the horticultural crops in the region through adaptation works,
• Doing alternative crop researches to increase the diversity of crops,
• Doing researches for generation of energy from energy plants and bio-waste and serving as the national center point of the bio-energy researches,
Doing researches on collection, protection and description of herbal genetic resources in the area of duty and when necessary, using these resources in the improvement studies,
• Developing suitable methods and technology to use water in agriculture effectively, determining the conditions of use of low-quality water in irrigation,
• Determining the productivity quality of the soil, searching the effects of nutrients and soil improver on the productivity and quality of the soil and developing suitable fertilization techniques,
• Protecting water resources in watersheds and enabling the sustainable usage of the resources,
• Determining the precautions to be taken to reduce the negative effects of salinity, desertification and erosion and developing practical improvement methods,
• Determining possible changes in soil, water resources and plant production caused by changes in the climate and developing suitable adaptation methods,
• Observing vegetation of basic crops in its area of responsibility and giving preventive advice to decision makers by preparing reports including production forecast in growing and harvest periods.