Department of Plant Protection has research studies related to pests and disease resistance of developed types by the Institute, struggle methods against current disease and pests, healthy material production techniques. Department determine the diagnosis, density, distribution, the damage level of the diseases (fungal, viral, bacterial), pests (acari, insects, nematodes) and weeds causing the yield losses to the horticultural crops in provinces of Marmara Region (Bilecik, Bursa, Düzce, Edirne, İstanbul, Kırklareli, Kocaeli, Sakarya Tekirdağ and Yalova) and to implement the most effective and economical control methods by researching their biology, bio–ecology and epidemiology and to transfer the obtained findings to the application.
The Department also doing tasks related to the Food Control General Directorate of the Ministry:
- To inspect trial areas of plant protection products, which will be taken authorization
- To undertake coordination of integrated pest management (IPM), integrated crop management (ICM) and one of the important cereal pest, sunn pest (Eurygaster spp.).
- To analyze as the macroscopic and microscopic of the diseased plant or pests sending by growers, official, private, and corporate sectors and to offer the solution proposal.
- To Prepare Plant Protection Technical Instructions and Standard Testicide Trial Methods related to harmful organisms on the ıssue needed in region.
- To educate producers or technical personels working for Provincial and District Agriculture Directorate of The Food, Agriculture and Livestock Ministry
- To fulfill the other tasks (surveys, quarantine, pesticide trial inspects, to meet the demands of pheromone traps of the Provincial Food and Agriculture Directorate, etc) related to plant disease and pest given by the Ministry.